Thursday, October 7, 2010

PSST

Hey!

Norm's away on vacation - I couldn't badger the exact location out of him - and I've been entrusted with the task of "keeping the home fires burning". Of course, Norm's temporary absence explains away this content draught that's so completely uncharacteristic of Spookingtons (almost typed that with a straight face).

Anyway, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to offer up a blog post and maintain the illusion that this site is updated semi-regulary (instead of producing, y'know, actual content). I say seemed in the past tense because I originally intended to write this on Monday. Then I walked into the kitchen to grab a snack, sat back down at my desk and noticed that Netflix added the first two seasons of NewsRadio for instant viewing. Now it's Thursday.

While the semi-steady stream of information on the new Pokemon games makes for interesting headlines, I've been finding myself unable to sum up the enthusiasm to actually click through to the articles. Now, Pokemon is a subject very near and dear to my heart, make no mistake. It's just - I don't know - is the phrase "jumped the shark*" too cliche to use here? I just get the feeling that we've seen everything there is to see. I haven't exactly been paying the closest attention to the last few generations of 'mons, but I get the general impression that Game Freak is just swapping traits from previous Pokemon. And aren't there like, seven kinds of Pikachu now? Maybe I'm just being cynical.

If they'd just go with my idea for inter-Pokemon breeding, they wouldn't even need to design a whole new set of creatures - all they'd need is some sort of Poke-centric face mash algorithm! Surely I'm not the only one that's fantasized about owning a Blastizard. What's that you say? Two different species of Pokemon simply will not conjugate? Why, that's what the prodding iron is for! Never was there a greater occasion for a stylus-based minigame.

I'm sure I'll end up buying Black and White. I always hitch my ride to the Pokemon bandwagon, at least for the first few weeks after the game's release. Unfortunately, real life always pulls me away. I'm still embarrassingly far from beating Soul Silver, and I bought it on day one.

Anyway, I've probably overstayed my welcome. This post was intended to be three paragraphs tops. Norm should be back posting shortly. Until then - keep watching the skies!

-Charlie

*Have... have they done a shark Pokemon yet?

UPDATE: I've just been informed that yes, in fact, there is a shark Pokemon. Sharpedo. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment